Thursday, March 22, 2012

Washington DC

Weekend in DC visiting the sites from picture books!

I traveled to DC for the weekend to stay with Janey, Terry's sister in law. On the saturday I spent the say in the centre of DC seeing all the sights! I started in the National Art Gallery and then did a long circuit around the mall. Walked up to the State Capitol then down the other side of the lawn. Had my picture taken in front of the Washington Monument - that stereotypical image of America. It was the windiest day EVER and so so cold! After that i headed to the American History museum for some lunch and felt like everyone was looking at me because i was by myself. If anything, this trip made me realize how much i want someone to share my experiences with because its not fun enjoying things by yourself. 
After that i walked up to the White House and around the outside of it. The actual house is way smaller than i expected! It is definitely no Buckingham Palace!! I then headed up to the Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial. It was all amazing and very cereal actually being stood in front of these monuments which i have studied for so long. 

That evening we went to the Kennedy Centre to watch a ballet performance. It was pretty special and lovely to experience. It was a recital which i had never experienced before. 

On the Sunday I went to Mount Vernon, George Washington's plantation and had a tour around his house and grounds. In the afternoon I mooched around the shops in Alexandria. It was comforting to hear so many British voices here. In Alabama I get over the top excited if I meet someone who is British (which has only happened twice) that i have not already met. In Alexandria every other group had an English accent in it and some of the shop owners were British. They even had mothers day things in the shops even though America doesn't have theirs until April! It was a beaut of a day and the Potomac River looked fabulous in the sunshine. 

On the monday I had a meeting with the photographic editor at the National Geographic Magazine in central DC. I felt very lucky to be able to have that opportunity and be shown around their offices and learn how everything functions. Overall DC was definitely a worth while trip and I seemed to pack in everything i wanted to do! I was very very tired in the week to come though because i had totally worn myself out.












No comments:

Post a Comment